Indian Cancer Society (ICS) is a not-for-profit Community based Health Society dedicated to eliminating Cancer as a major health challenge. Its Bengaluru office is working towards bringing down the cancer incidence and mortality rates in the region through increased awareness levels, early detection and early intervention. The extent of help required is phenomenal. The Society is entirely dependent on public support to carry out its activities which include
- create awareness across Karnataka so that certain types of cancer can be prevented and when they occur, they are detected at an early stage
- detect cancer at an early stage at its cancer screening camps that are organized specifically for the needy and low-income groups
- provide cancer counselling to cancer patients, their families and care-givers and medical support through empanelled hospitals
- provide financial assistance for diagnosis and/ or initial, limited-time treatment through empanelled hospitals.
Over a million people, in India, are being diagnosed with cancer every year. These numbers continue to increase. About a third of most common types of cancers can be prevented through healthy diet, healthy weight, regular physical activity and avoiding use of all forms of tobacco. With advances made in the medical field, many types of cancer can now be treated if cancer is detected in the early stage. Unfortunately, most cancer patients in India, consult a doctor at a stage when chance of recovery is small. Early detection of cancer leads to early start of treatment.
We create Awareness about cancer through programs that include:
- Awareness workshops in schools and colleges
- Awareness talks in corporates and communities
- Cancer Awareness events
- Informative posts and videos on social media
Please contact us if you would like to schedule a Cancer Awareness session at your school, college, corporate or community.
Early Cancer Detection
Many cancers are manageable when detected early and treated adequately. ICS has been conducting Cancer Detection Camps in Bengaluru and Rural Karnataka. Regions where we are currently focusing include Bengaluru, districts near Bengaluru, Northern Karnataka, Dakshina Kannada and Udupi. We screen for common types of cancer including Oral, Breast and Cervical cancer. Focus is on the low-income segment in villages, slums and industrial belts.
We detect cancer early through programs that include
- Opportunistic Screening
- Population Based Cancer Screening (PBCS) which covers the entire population in an area through a survey
- Tobacco Cessation Counselling
- Financial assistance for further diagnostic tests at hospitals/ clinics
- Initial treatment for confirmed cancer cases from Screening camps that meet criteria defined.
Please contact us if you would like to support Cancer Screening activity.
Being diagnosed with cancer can give rise to shock and disbelief, fear and uncertainty, anger, guilt, resentment, depression, denial or other difficulties. It can have a huge impact on patients and caregivers.
ICS Bengaluru has a team of trained counselors, that includes cancer survivors and care givers. We provide emotional support to cancer patients and caregivers and equips them to tide over the difficult times in their fight against cancer.
Please contact us if you would like to talk to someone from the Emotional Support team.
Initial Treatment Funding
ICS Bengaluru has setup a Bridge Fund that provides financial assistance for diagnosis and/ or initial, limited-time treatment to needy low-income group patients diagnosed with any kind of curable cancer. The treatment funding is meant to tide over the period until the main financial assistance is sanctioned and will be restricted to the first one month of treatment. The financial assistance is given to cover costs of any aspect of cancer-directed treatment including surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, medicines, tests conducted through the empanelled hospitals in Karnataka.